5 Important Steps to Exterminate Cockroaches
Published: May 29
Having cockroaches in your residence is never a pleasant thing. That is why you have to be aware of your surroundings and properly inspect regularly for signs of this or any other pests. Especially with cockroaches you want to make sure that you eradicate the problem as soon as possible being that they are known to carry diseases as well as to damage property.
A very interesting creature, very well adapted and capable of surviving for long periods of time. Depending on the specie, one cockroach can produce over 400 offspring in her lifetime. That is why it is very important to obtain and maintain a 100% control. If you see one, there are usually others in the area. They are able to survive over a month with no food, up to a week if they become headless and can even hold their breath for up to 45 minutes.
There are many steps that you can follow to exterminate the pest problem. Here are some of the most important ones you can take to get rid of those cockroaches:
- In-Depth Inspection
- First and foremost you will want to complete an in-depth inspection of the area where you have seen the cockroaches. Use a flashlight and a mirror where needed to find any visible signs like: cockroach feces, eggs, or dead bodies. Make sure to get into dark, moist, hidden areas like behind the refrigerator, dish washer, sinks, stoves and cabinets as it is their preferred environment.
- In-Depth Cleaning
- One of the best ways to assist in the proper control of cockroaches as well as any other household pest is to clean all contact areas and maintain them that way. Make sure to wipe the counters and appliances, mop the floors and vacuum carpets as well as any cracks.
- Cover / Store Open Food
- As like any other pest, cockroaches will be looking for food sources. Many times those crumbles that feel under the table are enough. But other times it is the open bag of chips left behind, or the food in the stove that was not stored away. Minimize the areas where they can feed from and properly cover and store any consumable items.
- Properly Store Garbage
- Make sure that your garbage is in a closed container. This will avoid any wondering cockroaches from getting in it. Make sure to take it out every night as well and to avoid any overfilling.
- Repair any water leaks
- Another big factor for a pest infestation will be that it needs to have a water source. Many times leaks in your plumbing will create the perfect source for water not only for cockroaches but for other pests as well. It can as well create other issues like mold and fungi. Make sure to repair any water leak as soon as it is detected, and to keep an eye on your water bill for any irregular changes in cost / usage.
- Contact the Pest Control Professional at GC Termite Control
- There are many different methods to control cockroach infestations. The one used will depend on many factors like the size, age and location of the infestation. Make sure to contact us or your local pest control professional for the best extermination solution. Keep your home protected and your family safe.
Here is an informational video by National Geographic on Cockroach Infestations if you would like to get more informed on how they work
Gilberto A. Cortez
California Licensed Operator and Contractor