Ants in the house? Here are the most common areas where to find them
Feb 15 | ( 0 ) Comments
Ants are one of the most advanced pests that we will run across in our everyday lives. Nature has given them millions of years to evolve and adapt to the always changing environment. This is why scientist studies them to apply their advance techniques in our technology. For that very same reason we have to be very cautious on how we direct our controlling solutions. The first and one of the most important steps is finding where their colony is located, which can be both an easy and a hard task depending on where they are located. Interior infestations are usually harder to locate and evaluate, being that they can be found anywhere from the edges of your baseboards to the inside of a clock or even under carpets. They can and will use any natural or man-made crevice, which gives them a great advantage to facilitate their movement and foraging behaviors.
Here are some of the most common areas where ants can be found on the interior of houses and structures:
- Ants really like an environment with a high level of moisture. This makes bathrooms a very common place to find colonies. Look around the edges of any tubs, showers, pipes and as well around the base of the toilet.
- The perfect place for any pest to thrive, due to its large amount of food and water sources. Ants commonly like to be around the cabinets, under the sink, on the edges of the baseboards, along the crevices and man-made edges of countertops. A great proactive technique to alleviate the problem in this area is clean up, do not leave any food sources especially sweets exposed, make sure to clean up any spills and seal the remaining food.
- Laundry and Boiler Rooms
- Another area with a high level of moisture that ants love to explore. This area is normally with easy access to the exterior via cracks, pipes, windows and doors. Look around any entry areas, around edges of baseboards and moldings as well as along pipes and vents.
- Wall Voids
- This is a common corridor for ant foraging as it is normally moist, out of the path of humans, and with access to both the exterior and interior of the property. Unfortunately, it is not very easy to inspect for activity as it is usually inaccessible. Look around the perimeter of the walls for any ant trails, follow them and they will most likely take you to the place where they are either originating or where they are gaining access into the interior of the house or structure.
- Other Areas
- As previously mentioned before, high moisture environments and exterior entry points are the most common areas where you will find them. Make sure to look around all pipes and electrical lines as well as inside switch plates and bath traps. Window sills, door thresholds and expansion points are other common areas.
Ant can be virtually anywhere inside of a house or structure. Make sure that you locate and identify them correctly before starting any remediation process. Remember that sometimes putting in that extra effort in the beginning pays off in the future. This will save you a lot of headaches, chemical and time in the long run.
We are always here to help you out, remember that not every pest problem can be easily controlled. Which is why our experienced licensed inspectors are at your disposal? Either with a one-time service or with a regular control solution, your ants in the house will be gone and killed for good.
Give us a call today to (619) 421 – 2101 or send us an email and kill those ants in your house. As always, please leave any questions, concerns or comments below.
Gilberto A. Cortez | Licensed Inspector