How much do fumigations / tenting cost?
Published: Jun 28
Prices in all types of services can vary greatly, including those in pest and termite control services. Structural fumigations are a great way of addressing some harder to control problems like: Drywood Termites, Bed Bugs, Beetles among others. Prices normally start at around $1,295.00 (as of mid-2022) for tenting of a small (~1000 sq ft) single-family residence on slab or boat in a marina for the control of drywood termites.
The cost for a structural fumigation or tenting can vary depending on factors like:
- Size of the structure
- The amount of fumigant that is required is calculated taking the size of the structure into consideration. The bigger that the structure or building is, the more fumigant that is normally going to be required during the process.
- Type of pest
- Another very important factor to consider is the target pest. A fumigation for drywood termites utilized the 1x or normal dosage. However, for other pests like powder post beetles or death watch beetles the dosage is 10x or 10 times the amount of fumigant that it would normally take. As this is one of the biggest expenses for the materials required, you can see how it may greatly influence the pricing of a structural fumigation.
- This is a much smaller factor, but with gasoline and labor prices increasing it is one that will become more important. Normally if your property is in our normal service area this is not a big issue, however there are some properties that are a bit more out of town. With some structures being an hour or more away from the city, cost for the additional time and expenses must be factored in.
- Clearance around the building
- A building needs to be clear of debris, structures, plants, and any other obstructions around its perimeter before the fumigation process begins. If the owner resolves this, it should not be a major issue. However, if plants need to be trimmed, or things need to be bagged or removed, an additional fee will most likely be incurred.
- Type of roof
- Most structures in San Diego, California are alike on their roof design, making this a smaller factor to consider. However, if your property has a fragile roof, or maybe a very steep slope, or it may be too high up the ground. In those and other rarer scenarios, additional equipment and timing might be needed. This may increase the cost of the fumigation process.
- Type of structure
- Are you fumigating a boat on water, a detached garage, a commercial building or maybe just a piece of furniture? Different types of structures will require different solutions. Although not a major factor to consider, it is one that we need to remember.
- Type of fumigant used
- Another factor that needs to be taken into consideration every time is the type of fumigant being used and its manufacturer. There are many options out there to choose from, in our case we prefer to use Vikane Fumigant. However, there are more cost affordable options out there (on which results can vary). Make sure to do your research and ask questions to your fumigator until you are satisfied.
Make sure to talk to a professional and licensed technician that can assist you in assessing and pricing correctly the fumigation (if needed). This way you are not guessing and are able to get clearer answers. The information I provide is just general information, actual pricing factors will vary and be different from provider to provider.
If you are currently having a pest or termite control issue that you need resolved, please do not hesitate to contact us. Out team can be reached at (619) 421 – 2101 or online by Sending us a Message.
Gilberto A. Cortez
California Licensed Operator and Contractor