Subterranean Termite Prevention
Sep 04 | ( 0 ) Comments
In San Diego County one of the more devastating wood destroying organisms are the Subterranean Termites. For this reason, it is highly recommended that preventive measure is taken on your property to protect it from any wood destroying organism infestation. To many of us purchasing a home is the biggest investment that will be done on our lifespan, so it makes great sense protecting it from any attack.
The most important step is to know and be educated on what a subterranean termite infestation looks like. One must be proactive and constantly perform visual inspections around the perimeter of the structure to find and control infestations on its early stage. By doing this you will be potentially saving thousands of dollars in the long run. The three most common signs are:
- Mud tubes around the structure or it’s foundation
- Subterranean termite swarmer’s or wings on the interior of the building
- Wood damage that is filled with dirt or mud
Another great way of preventing Subterranean Termite infestations is by maintaining your property with various DIY (Do It Yourself) solutions. This will assist you in maintaining an environment that will minimize the possibilities of an infestation. They will usually be very low cost to implement, so it is a great way of protecting your investment before the costs gets higher. Some of the most common DIY solutions available to prevent a Subterranean Termite Infestation are:
- Control the moisture levels around the structure, especially in the crawl space
- Have a properly ventilated crawl space
- Have all wood bark / mulch at least 18” inches away from the foundation or structure
- Remove any wood / fire wood that is close to the structure. Store it as far away as possible in a raised / covered area
- Remove any cellulose debris from the interior of your crawl space
- Avoid any wood to earth contacts
- Make sure there is not a faulty grade towards your structure
Finally, the best and proven way to protect your property against any wood destroying organisms is by having a control service plan. This is where you leave the job to be handled by a professional licensed inspector / technician. There are multiple weapons for control at his disposal, but commonly it will include the use of a liquid termiticide like Termidor SC, termite bait stations or a combination of both methods. This are guaranteed solutions, so you know that you are getting the best protection available. As well it is a safer option for residential properties, as no chemicals will be stored at your home and will minimize the risk of contamination.
Subterranean termites are no joke, if you leave them unattended they will create thousands and thousands of dollars in damage to your structure. In the US termites are estimated to cost over 5 billion dollars in structural damage, do not become a part of that statistic. Be a proactive property owner and protect your investment start today!
Give us a call at (619) 421 – 2101 or send us a message online and one of our expert representatives will assist you with your Subterranean Termite Preventive solutions.
Gilberto A. Cortez | Licensed Inspector